I am a Portrait Artist and Landscape Photographer
I am so fortunate to be a photographer. God has given me an eye for beauty, a creative mind and an adventurous spirit – I rarely go anywhere without a camera in my hand, fearing I will miss something incredible and miraculous. I enjoy creating unique, one of a kind portraits that are both intimate and original. I also enjoy capturing the exquisite beauty of God’s creation, whether it be landscapes or wildlife. I continually strive to discover and capture art and beauty, whether it be the innocent face of a child, the passionate kiss of newlyweds or the sunrise streaming through an autumn forest. I truly love my profession and am committed to providing my clients with not only a great experience but also beautiful portraits. My quest is to exceed the expectations of my clients, to honestly portray their personalities, their relationships, their emotions and the story of their lives. When they see their images, I want them to be absolutely delighted! It thrills me to realize I am giving them fine works of art that will preserve these memories for generations to come.
Photographer of the Year In 2016, 2017 & 2018
After joining PPA in 2014, I was inspired and encouraged by many Master photographers to pursue print competition and seek after my CPP and Masters of Photography Degree. In 2016, I followed their advice and entered Print Competition for the first time. The process was tough and time-consuming, but was an incredible learning experience and absolutely made me a better photographer and business owner. In the past three years, I have been fortunate to win several awards, including Photographer of the Year in West Virginia, Kentucky, and Ohio. I have also been successful at the international level, attaining Diamond, Platinum, and Gold status in the IPC (International Print Competition) through PPA (Professional Photographers of America). To see more of my professional awards and accomplishments, click HERE.
I am proud of my accomplishments as an artist and photographer, but I will always seek to improve my craft. I am continually learning new things about photography, posing, lighting, etc. For the past ten years, I have taken many classes, trainings, and mentorships to better my skills and have attended many state and national conferences.
I earned the Certified Professional Photographer (CPP) designation from Professional Photographers of America (PPA) after completing an intensive program that measures one’s artistic and technical competence. On a national level, fewer than 3% of professional photographers are certified. I sought out this certification because it holds me to a higher standard. Just as doctors, lawyers and other professionals seek certification in their industries, I wanted to show my clients and potential clients that I am qualified to be the best photographer for them. Click HERE to read more about the importance hiring a Certified Professional Photographer to capture the important events and moments in your life.
Master of Photography
I worked hard to earn this prestigious degree. The Master of Photography degree is not merely a piece of paper. It means that the recipient has met the standards of excellence set by PPA. The degree is awarded in recognition of superior photographic competence demonstrated through photographic competition, advanced education and service to the profession. I am honored to be recognized for superior image making and photographic service and to have the M.Photog. designation after my name.
Random Facts about me:
– I am a Christian and follower of Jesus.
– I am optimistic and rarely worry.
– I am a vegan, but not an angry one.
– I enjoy cooking and making creative, colorful and healthy meals. I can’t help but take pictures of them but refrain from posting on social media because I know it irritates a lot of people when they see “what I ate for dinner” posts.
– I love hiking, being out in nature, seeing and photographing birds, wildlife, waterfalls, etc.
– I broke the Ohio State Record for the 400m dash (56.5) when I was a high school senior and got a full ride to Marshall University, where I played volleyball and ran track all four years.
– I obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Physiology and a Master’s degree in Fine Arts
– I was inducted into Marshall's Hall of Fame in 1999 for Volleyball and Track.
– I was just recently (January 2019) inducted into my high school's (Waverly) Athletic Hall of Fame for Volleyball, Basketball, and track...glory days.
– I am crazy about art supplies, hanging out in art stores, and painting. – I have three wonderful sons, Mason (29), Carter (24) and Landre (19). Best thing I have ever done – being a boy mom. I also have a little grandson Judah who is one year old...one of the best things my son Mason and his wife Valerie have ever done.
– I am married to my best friend and fellow adventurer in life, Clark Miller.
I would rather spend money on traveling than anything! But when I am not traveling, I am finding incredible scenes in my own state of West Virginia, including Dolly Sods, Canaan Valley and the New River Gorge. Over the last few years, I have taken trips to:
– South Africa
– Costa Rica
– Baja Peninsula of Mexico
– Banff and Jasper National Parks in Alberta, Canada
– Valley of Fire and Death Valley
– Oregon Coast
– Glacier National Park
– Moab, Utah
– South Padre Island in Texas
– Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks
– Lighthouse tour on the Coast of Maine
– Great Smoky Mountains & Blue Ridge Parkway
– The Palouse
– Florida Keys, Destin & the Everglades
– Coast of Rhode Island